CompTIA Network+ Course
All students enrolled on this course are entitled to apply for an XO student discount card.
- Type : Online Course
- Duration : 34 Hours
- Access : 12 Months
- Awarded By : CompTIA
- Eligible to Apply : Yes
Use code MTA50 in checkout to purchase the CompTIA Network+ course for just £97.50
**Offer ends 15th June 2020**
CompTIA Network+ validates the knowledge and skills of networking professionals. You can kick start your network career or improve on the networking skills you already have with this vendor-neutral CompTIA Network+ course. Learn to configure, manage, secure, and troubleshoot both wired and wireless networks, as you prepare for CompTIA’s N10-007 certification exam.
On course completion, learners will be able to:
- Describe networking concepts.
- Explain the function and installation of network infrastructure components.
- Describe network operations concepts and implementation.
- Describe network security concepts and implementation.
- Explain network troubleshooting techniques and tool usage.
Once certified, you’ll be qualified for jobs such as 1st Line Support Engineer and Network Technician, earning an average salary of £37,500.00 per year - as well as ready to build on these fundamentals and specialise in your preferred area with further CompTIA certifications.
- A CompTIA A+ certification or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 year of experience supporting TCP/IP networks.
This CompTIA Network+ course has been designed to give you real-world knowledge that you can put to use from day one. It's highly flexible, so you can set your own timetable and study at your own pace.
We train our students to the very best standards, offering expert instructor-led training via our state of the art eLearning platform.
Bulk discounts are available on purchases of 10 or more courses.
If you wish to discuss a large individual order for this course, and/or would like to be invoiced in advance, please call our sales team on 01707 828 751 to make an enquiry.
Who is this course for?
This course is Ideal for anyone looking to kick start or boost their IT career.
Our CompTIA Network+ online course is a cost-effective and successful approach for many individuals and teams. It provides a flexible learning method, allowing candidates to schedule learning at a time that suits them and fits in with other commitments; ideal for those who find it difficult to take time away from their workplace. It also allows candidates to work at their own pace, and revisit sections of the course as often as needed, leading to a fuller understanding of all the topics covered. In addition, there are none of the high costs of travel and accommodation associated with courses at an external venue.
Course Assessment Process
To earn your official Network+ certification from CompTIA, you will need to study the CompTIA Network+ training course and pass the compulsory CompTIA Network+ exam.
- CompTIA N10-007
To prepare you for your exam, we provide interactive quizzes after each module and a mock exam at the end of your course to ensure you’re fully prepared for the real thing. Once you’ve passed with at least 85%, you’ll be ready to book your exam as a private candidate. To make life easier, we can help you find an appropriate exam centre and give you all the information you need to secure your place.
Please note that the CompTIA exam fees aren’t included in the course price. To find the latest exam prices, visit:
Once you’re fully prepared and ready to sit your exam, all you’ll have to do is purchase your exam voucher and schedule your exam at a test centre near you. You can use the Pearson Vue Test Locator to find test centre locations near you. For more information on how to schedule your exams, please visit our schedule my exams page.
Got a question about exams? Contact our course advisors by email or by phone on 01707 828 751. We're happy to help!
Our training works on all devices including Mobile phones, IPad’s, Android tablets, Macs and PC’s.
For the best viewing experience on our state-of-the-art eLearning platform we recommend an internet connection of 10Mbps or better. Please also use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browser with Adobe Flash Player.
Looking for more information?
CompTIA Certifications are one of the most highly recognized IT standards in the industry, with over two million professionals certified worldwide. The majority of HR managers believe IT certifications are a reliable predictor of successful employees, and they also believe that certifications will become even more important in the coming years.
Certifications = Better Performance, Higher Pay. Businesses also report that CompTIA certified employees routinely perform better than their non-certified counterparts.
With so many benefits, CompTIA certifications are the logical choice for IT professionals looking to gain a competitive edge.
Unlike other vendor-specific networking certifications, CompTIA Network+ prepares you to support the network regardless of the platform. It forms the foundation you need before specializing in a vendor solution. CompTIA Network+ is the only industry certification that covers both wired and wireless networks.
CompTIA’s Network+ validates the knowledge and skills needed to troubleshoot, configure and manage wired and wireless networks found in companies around the world. CompTIA Network+ certifies a professional-level understanding of emerging technologies, including cloud and virtualization technologies.
Yes. You can call or email us whenever you are ready to sit the exam.
We've put together a list of relevant job titles you can apply for after achieving the CompTIA Network+ certification (note that some careers may require further study, training and/or work experience):
- Network Installer
- Network Manager
- Network Technician
- Network Administrator
- Network Support Engineer
- 1st Line Support
- 2nd Line Support
- How to put together a killer CV, Covering Letters and Thank You emails.
- How to gain relevant work experience.
- How to prepare for interviews.
- How to understand Job adverts.
- How to choose the right recruitment agency.
- How to look for work on LinkedIn.
- Information on dealing with redundancy.
Once you have achieved your certification, you'll have full access to our recruitment package for a wide range of information and advice - including:
Our careers advice section is available for you to see now. For more information about our career advice services, contact us on 01707 828 8751 to speak with one of our friendly course advisors today.
Getting a CompTIA certification will always help you stand out from the crowd, now and in the future - whether you're just starting out, developing your career, or changing direction entirely.
Research by e-Skills UK has shown that IT and telecommunications now employs 1 in 20 of the UK workforce. It also suggests the digital sector will need nearly 300,000 new recruits by 2020 to meet the demand for skills in this area.
CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Course Content
Students taking this course should meet the following pre-requisites:
• CompTIA A+ certification or equivalent experience
• At least 1 year of experience supporting TCP/IP networks
By the end of this course, you will:
- Describe basic networking concepts
- Describe network infrastructure and explain how to deploy common network components
- Describe network operations and explain how to support a production network
- Describe network security concepts and explain how to implement basic network security
- Describe network troubleshooting and explain how to use common tools to troubleshoot a network
To enhance learning and reinforce concepts, students can participate in the activities as desired. To prepare your own lab environment, please see the lab setup manual CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Course Lab Setup Guide.
Some activities in this course include demonstrations using real-world tools. It is NOT a requirement to
purchase or use these tools for successful completion of this course.
Students are not expected to demonstrate the use of any particular tool during the exam. You WILL, however, have to be able to explain the purpose of all of the tools, how they work in general, and when it is appropriate to choose one particular tool over another.
Module 1 – Networking Concepts
1.1 Basic Networking
You will explain basic networking.
- Intro to networking
- Networking architectures
- Activity Basic Networking
1.2 OSI Model
You will explain devices, applications, protocols, and services at their appropriate OSI layers.
- Layer 7 – Application
- Layer 6 – Presentation
- Layer 5 – Session
- Layer 4 – Transport
- Layer 3 – Network
- Layer 2 – Data Link
- Layer 1 – Physical
- Activity Exploring the OSI Model
1.3 Protocols and Ports
You will explain the purposes and uses of ports and protocols.
- Protocols and ports overview
- Activity Examining Protocols and Ports
- Connection-oriented vs. connectionless
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- Activity Comparing TCP and UDP
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- Internet Control Messaging Protocol (ICMP)
- Internet Group Messaging Protocol (IGMP)
- Activity Examining the Lower Layer Protocols
- Layer 7 Remote Control Protocols
- Layer 7 File Transfer Protocols
- Layer 7 Messaging Protocols
- Activity Examining Messaging Protocols
- Layer 7 Web Traffic Protocols
- Layer 7 Streaming Media Protocols
- Layer 7 Infrastructure Management Protocols
You will explain the concepts and characteristics of switching.
- Packet-switched vs. circuit-switched networks
- Properties of Network Traffic
- Contention Management
- Activity Creating Collision and Broadcast Domains
- Interface Properties and Segmentation
- Activity Creating a Basic Network Segment
- Switching prt 2
- Activity Switching
- Switching Loop Management
- Activity Managing Switching Loops
- Activity Creating VLANs
You will explain the concepts and characteristics of routing.
- Activity Examining ARP
- IP Addressing Basics
- Activity Configuring IP
- Activity Setting Up a Router
- Routing Basics
- Activity Adding Static Routes
- VLAN Routing
- Activity Routing Between VLANs
- Activity Configuring NAT/PAT
- Routing Protocols
- Activity Configuring a Routing Protocol
- Activity Configuring Firewalls
1.6 Advanced Switching and Routing Concepts
You will explain advanced switching and routing concepts.
- IPv6 Concepts
- Activity Exploring IPv6
- Performance Concepts
- Distributed Switching
- Software-defined Networking
1.7 IP Addressing
You will, given a scenario, configure the appropriate IP addressing components.
- Public vs. Private
- Loopback and Reserved
- Subnet Mask
- Default Gateway
- Virtual IP
- Activity Learning to Subnet
- Address Assignments
1.8 Network Types and Topologies
You will compare and contrast the characteristics of network topologies, types and technologies.
- Wired Topologies
- Wireless Topologies
- Network Types
- Technologies that Facilitate the Internet Of Things (IoT)
- (No activity for this chapter)
1.9 Wireless Technologies
You will, given a scenario, implement the appropriate wireless technologies and configurations.
- Radio Basics
- 802.11 Standards
- Wi-Fi Frequencies
- Wi-Fi Antenna Concepts
- Site Surveys
- Activity Using an RF Spectrum Analyzer
1.10 Cloud Concepts
You will summarize cloud concepts and their purposes.
- Types of Services
- Cloud Delivery Models
- Security Implications/Considerations
- Activity Exploring Cloud Services
1.11 Network Services
You will explain the functions of network services.
- DNS Service
- Activity Setting up DNS
- DHCP Service
- Activity Setting Up DHCP
Module 2 – Infrastructure
2.1 Cabling Solutions
You will, given a scenario, deploy the appropriate cabling solution.
- Media Types
- Activity Testing a Fiber Optic Cable
- Plenum vs. PVC
- Connector Types
- Activity Crimping on an RJ-45 Connector
- Termination Points
- Activity Terminating Cable to a 110 Block
- Copper Cable Standards
- Copper Termination Standards
- Activity Creating a Crossover Cable
- Ethernet Deployment Standards
2.2 Network Device Placement and Installation
You will, given a scenario, determine the appropriate placement of networking devices on a
network and install/configure them.
- Network Interface
- Wireless Access Point
- Activity Setting up a WAP
- Media Converter
- Wireless Range Extender
- VoIP Endpoint
2.3 Advanced Network Devices
You will explain the purposes and use cases for advanced networking devices.
- Multilayer Switch
- Wireless Controller
- Load Balancer
- Proxy Server
- Activity Configuring Proxy Settings
- VPN Concentrator
- AAA/RADIUS Server
- UTM Appliance
- NGFW/Layer 7 Firewall
- VoIP PBX
- VoIP Gateway
- Content Filter
2.4 Virtualization and Network Storage Technologies
You will explain the purposes of virtualization and network storage technologies.
- Virtual Networking Components
- Network Storage Types
- Connection Types
- Jumbo Frames
- (No activity for this chapter)
2.5 WAN Technologies
You will compare and contrast WAN technologies.
- Service Types
- Transmission Mediums
- Characteristics of Service
- Activity Configuring WAN Links
Module 3 – Network Operations
You will, given a scenario, use appropriate documentation and diagrams to manage the
- Diagram Symbols
- Standard Operating Procedures/Work Instructions
- Logical vs. Physical Diagrams
- Rack Diagrams
- Change Management Documentation
- Wiring and Port Locations
- IDF/MDF Documentation
- Network Configuration and Performance Baselines
- Inventory Management
- Activity Using Documentation
3.2 Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
You will compare and contrast business continuity and disaster recovery concepts.
- Availability Concepts
- Activity Backing Up Your Data
- SLA Requirements
3.3 Scanning, Monitoring, and Patching
You will explain common scanning, monitoring and patching processes and summarize their
- Event Management
- SNMP Monitors
- Activity Testing the Network
3.4 Remote Access Methods
You will, given a scenario, use remote access methods.
- HTTPS/Management URL
- Remote File Access
- Out-of-Band Management
- Activity Making Remote Connections
3.5 Policies and Best Practices
You will identify policies and best practices.
- Privileged User Agreement
- Password Policy
- On-boarding/Off-boarding Procedures
- Licensing Restrictions
- International Export Controls
- Data Loss Prevention
- Remote Access Policies
- Incident Response Policies
- System Life Cycle
- Safety Procedures And Policies
- Activity Creating Policies and Procedures
Module 4 – Network Security
4.1 Physical Security Devices
You will summarize the purposes of physical security devices.
- (No activity for this chapter)
4.2 Authentication and Access Control
You will explain authentication and access controls.
- Authorization, Authentication, and Accounting
- Multifactor Authentication
- Access Control
- Activity Examining Access Control Mechanisms
4.3 Basic Wireless Network Security
You will, given a scenario, secure a basic wireless network.
- Authentication and Authorization
- Activity Demonstrating the Need for Wireless Security
4.4 Common Network Attacks
You will summarize common networking attacks.
- Social Engineering
- Insider Threat
- Logic Bomb
- Rogue Access Point
- Evil Twin
- DNS Poisoning
- ARP Poisoning
- Brute Force
- VLAN Hopping
- Exploits vs. Vulnerabilities
- Activity Conducting a Phishing Attack
4.5 Network Device Hardening
You will, given a scenario, implement network device hardening.
- Changing Default Credentials
- Avoiding Common Passwords
- File Hashing
- Generating New Keys
- Activity Supporting Secure Authentication and Encryption
- Upgrading Firmware
- Patching and Updates
- Disabling Unnecessary Services
- Using Secure Protocols
- Disabling Unused Ports
4.6 Common Mitigation Techniques
You will explain common mitigation techniques and their purposes.
- Signature Management
- Device Hardening
- Change Native VLAN
- Switchport Protection
- Network Segmentation
- Privileged User Account
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Role Separation
- Restricting Access Via ACLs
- Penetration Testing
- Activity Implementing a Honeypot
Module 5 – Network Troubleshooting and Tools
5.1 Network Troubleshooting Methodology
You will explain the network troubleshooting methodology.
- Identify the Problem
- Establish a Theory of Probable Cause
- Test the Theory to Determine the Cause
- Establish a Plan of Action to Resolve the Problem and Identify Potential Effects
- Implement the Solution or Escalate as Necessary
- Verify Full System Functionality and , if Applicable, Implement Preventive Measures
- Document Findings, Actions, and Outcomes
- (No activity for this chapter)
5.2 Using the Appropriate Tool
You will, given a scenario, use the appropriate tool.
- Hardware Tools – Basic Hand Held
- Hardware Tools – Analyzers
- Activity Troubleshooting with Hardware Tools
- Software Tools – Testers and Analyzers
- Activity Troubleshooting with Software Tools
- Software Tools – Command Line
- Activity Using Command Line Tools
5.3 Troubleshoot Wired Connectivity and Performance
You will, given a scenario, troubleshoot common wired connectivity and performance issues.
- Signal Issues:
- Activity Troubleshooting Signal Problems
- Incorrect pin-out
- Incorrect Cable Type
- Bad Port
- Damaged cable
- Bent pins
- Transceiver mismatch
- TX/RX reverse
- Duplex/speed mismatch
- Activity Troubleshooting Transceiver Problems
- Traffic Flow Issues:
- VLAN mismatch
- Network connection LED status indicators
5.4 Troubleshoot Wireless Connectivity and Performance
You will, given a scenario, troubleshoot common wireless connectivity and performance issues.
- Latency & Jitter
- Incorrect antenna type
- Incorrect antenna placement
- Incorrect WAP type
- Channel overlap
- Distance limitations
- Frequency mismatch
- Power levels
- Signal-to-noise ratio
- Wrong SSID
- Wrong passphrase
- Security type mismatch
- Activity Troubleshooting WAP Issues
5.5 Troubleshoot Common Network Service Issues
You will, given a scenario, troubleshoot common network service issues.
Common Network Issues:
- Physical Connectivity
- Incorrect IP Address
- Incorrect Gateway
- Incorrect Netmask
- Names Not Resolving
- Untrusted SSL Certificate
- Duplicate IP Addresses
- Expired IP Address
- Rogue DHCP
- Exhausted DHCP Scope
- Blocked TCP/UDP Ports
- Incorrect Host-based Firewall Settings
- Incorrect ACL Settings
Advanced Network Issues:
- DNS Server Issues
- Duplicate MAC Addresses
- Incorrect Time
- Unresponsive Service
- Hardware Failure
Activity Case Study:
- Troubleshooting an Unusual
EXPERT INSTRUCTOR-LED TRAINING
We only uses the industry’s finest instructors to develop our courses. They have a minimum of 15 years real-world experience and are subject matter experts in their fields. Unlike a live class, you can fast-forward, repeat or rewind all your lectures. This creates a personal learning experience and gives you all the benefit of hands-on training with the flexibility of doing it around your schedule 24/7.
QUIZZES & EXAM SIMULATORS
Our custom practice exams prepare you for your exams differently and more effectively than the traditional exam preps on the market. You will have practice quizzes after each module to ensure you are confident on the topic you have completed before proceeding. This will allow you to gauge your effectiveness before moving to the next module in your course. Our Courses also include practice exams designed to replicate and mirror the environment in the testing centre. These exams are on average 100 questions to ensure you are 100% prepared before taking your certification exam.
VISUAL DEMONSTRATIONS & MULTIMEDIA PRESENTATIONS
Our courseware includes instructor-led demonstrations and visual presentations that allow students to develop their skills based on real world scenarios explained by the instructor. Our Courseware always focuses on real world scenarios and skill-set development.
NAVIGATION & CONTROLS
Our self-paced training programs are designed in a modular fashion to allow you the flexibility to work with expert level instruction anytime 24/7. All courses are arranged in defined sections with navigation controls allowing you to control the pace of your training. This allows students to learn at their own pace around their schedule.
SOCIAL LEARNING & NETWORKING
We Have designed a world class Learning Management System (LMS). This system allows you to interact and collaborate with other students, form study groups, engage in discussions in our NOW@ Forums, rate and “like” different courses and stay up to date with all the latest industry knowledge through our forums, student contributions and announcement features. This LMS is unmatched in the industry and makes learning fun and enjoyable.
FLASH CARDS & EDUCATIONAL GAMES
Our Courseware knows that education is not a one size fits all approach. Students learn in different ways through different tools. That is why we provide Flash Cards and Education Games throughout our courses. This will allow you to train in ways that keep you engaged and focused. Each course will have dozens of Flash Cards so you can sharpen your skill-sets throughout your training as well as educational games designed to make sure your retention level of the materials is extremely high.
12 MONTHS UNLIMITED ACCESS
Each student will have 12 months unlimited access to allow you to have access to the training anytime 24/7.
EBooks and Practice Labs
Need Practical Experience?
As a bolt-on option, we offer Practice Labs as it provides users with an online lab platform to develop their practical skills in IT technologies such as CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco and VMWare.
In addition to the hardware you require, you also gain access to high quality practical exercises covering exam topics to help you to maximize your study time and increase your results. Practice Labs are highly effective and offer a cheaper alternative to setting up your own test environment.
You will gain unlimited access to the Practice Labs for 12 months- helping you to consolidate your learning and prepare you for work.
Gain access to our E-Book's Library
This bolt-on option will provide you with a wealth of research and reference material to help you make the most of your studies. Our e-book's library will serve as a great addition to your course material and provide massive savings in comparison to the cost of buying additional study books to support your learning.
For more information about our career advice services, contact us on 01707 828 8751 to speak with one of our friendly course advisors today.